Going Back Home

One of the biggest challenges of this trip was leaving. The last day was filled with some of the hardest goodbyes I've ever had to say. This study abroad experience was extremely valuable, as the challenges also lead to a lot of growth. In these four short weeks, I not only learned a lot about the refugee crisis -- I became intimate with it. This trip has helped foster a passion within myself to do good in the world, especially now that I don't want to let my new friends down.

I've begun settling back into the U.S., but the culture shock I've felt from this program has been different than my past study abroad experiences. While the pace of life has always stood out as different, this time I noticed more of an emphasis on the conflicting values. While away, I was surrounded by other passionate people who wanted to do good in the world. I also worked in the refugee camps that you read about in the New York Times. After spending time in that kind of environment, I found myself hating the materialistic values of those in the States, for the dichotomy between this way of life and that I was exposed to made these differences so much more drastic. Now, my goal will be to continue recognizing the privileges I have back at home and holding myself accountable to pursuing the same goals I created while in Greece.

Some members of our group and resident volunteers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 9th 2019

June 11th, 2019

June 25, 2019